Saturday, October 04, 2008

Me = Funny

I don't know if anybody that comes here (if anyone even does) has noticed the very Emo-tastic headline I have written for my blog, but I just read it and man do I sound like a bitch.

I figured I could take a moment to possibly refine the headline in a way that makes it more enlightening than depressing.

I have this theoretical explanation of how reflection works. I have recently become a bit obsessed with the idea, which has resulted in me writing many poems and a song stemming from it. The idea is simple: When you look into a mirror, do you see reflection or defiance?

It sounds silly on paper, I understand that, but the weight of the question holds many challenges. People tend to see what they are only willing to see, and a mirror is a perfect illustration of that idea. A mirror doesn't show anything except for a representation of how the world sees you, in a minimalistic way. The mirror doesn't reproduce your inner thoughts, your personality, your hatred or anger, your love or compassion. It simply lets you know what you, as a being of existence, look like.

At this point some people might say, "Well no shit Clay," but I don't think everyone really views it as such. For example: When you see yourself in a mirror you will most likely do one of two things: Be happy about what you see or critique what you see. If you notice a hair out of place or a pimple hindering the smooth nature of your skin, you may start to dislike yourself for it. You may even notice the ten pounds you've gained in the past month or two. Perhaps you start making a mental checklist of your inadequacies that need to change in order for you to be happy with yourself.

If you have never done this then go throw a "You!" party, because you're an exception. It is natural for us to desire something better for ourselves. In our society today where the media portrays beauty as something of a necessity, it can make the average person feel far more than just inferior, it can make them feel somewhat vacuous. If this is what you're seeing when you look in the mirror, I call it Defiance, not Reflection.

I call it this because of what the term means: "To offer resistance." You're resisting who you are, refusing to accept it without altering and perfecting its being. Nothing is satisfying as long as there is more to change, more to fix, more to advance. If this is what you do everyday, stop. Don't consistently look for ways to improve your image, consistently look for ways to love what your image can say to others; I know plenty of overweight people that carry themselves in a very powerful manner, you don't need to be skinny to have a demanding presence.

It all comes down to the idea of Reflection or Defiance then. When you look into a mirror, what do you see?

"A mirror reflects the physical appearance as we appear to the world. Break that mirror into pieces, hold it up and look at yourself. A little more accurate, isn't it? That's how I feel anyway."

That is my headline, and it portrays what this blog has been saying. A broken mirror will show an imperfect you, someone that comes with all sorts of scars and baggage. But this reflection is much more accurate than the one that you see from a perfectly flat representation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home